Here are the artist trading cards I got back in the "My Backyard" swap! They are all so different. But you know...I bet if we really looked at pictures of our backyards, there wouldn't be a whole lot of difference. Its all in how you look at it, right?
I made this quilt last week just for the fun of sewing it. Just ignored all of the unfinished works in progress and gonna-do plans and started cutting narrow strips from some left over bright colored Fabri-quilt fabrics. Then I sewed wider strips of navy fabric on each side of the bright fabrics and cut the resulting strips into six inch squares. As I was sewing the binding on, I kept thinking about what to do with this quilt.... and didn't come up with anything. It was too big to donate to my guild's mini-quilt auction, and too small for several other uses. Just as I finished it up, I got a request for a donation to a fund-raiser auction for Women's Transitional Care Services. Off it goes, and a perfect ending!
It is almost Quilt Market time again, and once again I have been rounding up quilts made by members of Kansas Art Quilters for Fabri-quilt. The folks at Fabri-quilt send me the fabric that they want used for quilts for their booth at market. They usually pick a theme for the quilts and often a size. This time there was no theme, but only a size requirement. All of the quilts were to be 30 inches square, and...well, they also asked that we not use any 3-D embellishments. Both of those rules are enough to make the project challenging, though. Soon, all of the quilts will be on the Kansas Art Quilter website at www.kansasartquilters.org, but for now here is a picture of the one I made. I call it "Atomic Flowers".
I volunteered to come up with a group art project for a Sunday School Family Education Day last Fall. Naturally, I could only think of things to do with fabric. Inspired by Susie Monday's project shown here, I thought that it would be fun to take a famous Chagall painting "I and the Village", shown here: And then "cut" it up and have everyone do the coloring on their own individual rectangular piece of the picture. When sewn back together, the differences in technique and colors used would make for an interesting mosaic effect. I think Susie drew her own version of the artwork that her group used in this type of project, but being rather lazy, I took a shortcut. I found a Dover Chagall coloring book that had converted "I and the Village" into a line drawing, ready for coloring. I scanned that page and then divided it up into 25 pieces, using a very cool free software program called The Rasterbater. (Seriously, this is a fun way to produce a GIANT picture!) Using white fabric that was attached to freezer paper and then cut to 8.5 by 11 inch pages, I printed out the coloring book page that had been blown up by Rasterbater. I also printed out two copies of the original artwork in color on paper....in a small size, about 8 by 10 inches. On both, I drew in the lines where Rasterbater had divided up the image and gave each section a number. One of these color images was left intact, but the second one was cut up along those lines, and each little piece of the image was stapled to its corresponding fabric/freezer paper page that the computer had produced. That way each person could see where their part of the image was located, and what color it was in the original. Then we set the group loose with crayons and markers. I also provided some strips of fabric for the participating families to sign and decorate. When they were done, I sewed the colored pieces together and quilted the black parts with black thread. The finished product is about 40 by 60 inches. I am rather proud of how it turned out...take a look!